Friday, November 30, 2007

Lookism

The thing about lookism that separates it from all the other isms is that its something people practice everyday. From the hair stylist we choose at the salon to how much we tip our waiters, to how we react to our colleagues and superiors, to the way we smile at service crew, all this is influenced.

In a Discovery Channel special hosted by Elizabeth Hurley, scientists theorized that people are now judged by looks because we are no longer in an interactive and engaged community. We are surrounded by strangers who we judge primarily by looks.

Being a type-A lookist, I am obsessed with how people look and how I look. On a good day I think I'm interesting looking, on a bad day I think I look basically like a fat slob.

Well yes, it's a good thing I'm as hard on everyone else as I am on myself. If the standards we apply to everyone else we apply to ourselves, then we would all be hot, gorgeous, tight tasty people.

And yes, I need to work out more. I also know that I need to get out of this self indulgent funk brought about by depressed episodes, heartbreak, birthday celebration and miscellaneous other confusing conundrums. And I admit I kinda look like shit.

It's funny though. How looks matter. I get a thrill when i get checked out. Tuesday night I went to a restaurant/bar K with T and B, and I was wearing this all pink ensemble: pink polo shirt, pink skirt with a ribbon near my crotch. A guy there kept looking at my ribbon.

I get a thrill whenever I'm checked out. By strangers, by friends, by lovers. I know it's a hormone thing mostly, any woman gets checked out by guys. Any passably attractive woman can get laid if she wants to.

The thrill in being checked out is feeling guys turned on, just seeing the wheels turning in their heads as they do that quick assessment. Women do it to. In less than 3 minutes, you can imagine someone naked, imagine how they'd feel in your arms, in your mouth, in your hand, try to taste them, smell them , hear them in your mind and gauge how far things could go if you actually tried making a pass at them.

I always do that evaluation. Most of the time the evaluation holds true. Sometimes no so. Guys just make me tingly. Hold some mystery. Make me so damn hot. Weirdly enough they seem to affect me more the less I see them. Relative strangers, guys that I'm just starting to get to know. It's the whole wondering what it would be like that makes me wet at night.

And yes looks are a big factor. Sorry nice guys, you guys are fun to talk to, nice friends but basically sex won't be an issue. At least it won't ruin the friendship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment