Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Chart

On the TV series The L Word, most of the plot points refer to the legendary Chart.



The chart is composed of the complicated, intricate and beautiful entanglements between people who have sex with each other. According to character Alice Pieszecki, everyone is sleeping with everyone else. And these constant connection and dissolution of bonds.



In real life, I've realized that this is probably true. Though a real life chart would be virtually impossible, given that people would most probably be ashamed and the person doing the adding would become pretty obvious.

What would a chart look like if it connected me to all the boys I've slept with? All, oh, all 24 of them? There would be multiple arrows near my name. I'd be like Shane from The L Word.

I bet it would be funny to know that my old entanglements connect me to the daughter or a Filipino music icon, a very very rich yet supposedly psycho bitch, a cutter (about 3x), several patrons of a certain bar, a nice girl member of a youth activist group, a seemingly nice girl ex-classmate, apparently a member of the Sex Bomb Dancers (or so he said), Bicolana strangers, some patrons of a club at The Fort and several other unknown women and/or men (especially if I include all people I've been somehow sexually connected with, not just the people I've been banging).

Being really curious may have something to do with it, but I guess I'm definitely curious who I'm connected with. It's like Friendster and Multiply only more fun, because there are very tangible and real connections involved.

On the chart, people aren't connected by ambiguous yet pretty words like "friend", "co-worker", "colleague", or "parent". In the chart people are connected by being lovers or having sex or fucking or making love or being fuck buddies (and yes there are minute and infinitesimal differences between all those terms).

Come to think of it, the chart can connect me on a first degree basis to at least 72 people who I don't even know. 72 is a very conservative estimate based on the assumption that each of the 24 people I've slept with and fucked have been with only 3 people (which I seriously doubt, I bet based on these people as I know them, I'm probably connected with 720 people).

And while I bet this should somehow bother me, it really doesn't. I know people who've had mutual exes and I've had mutual FBs with other people. It's not anything evil or insane or weird. These entanglements are what make life interesting. Interconnections, damn, you never know how small the world is till you meet someone who fucked someone you fucked about 10 years ago.

And yes, I am an L Word addict.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment